Do you regularly experience sensitivity or pain in some of your teeth? Maybe you’ve started noticing a few cosmetic changes to your smile, and something doesn’t feel normal. If your teeth and gums are changing or you have a lot of pain while eating or doing other activities throughout the day, a root canal can make a world of difference, all while saving your teeth!
How Can a Root Canal Help My Smile?
Some may think that getting a tooth extracted and then replaced is the best way to get rid of pain and infection, but actually, attempting to save a tooth with a root canal treatment can help preserve your oral health with less hassle in the future.
Root Canal Procedures at Our Dental Office
Despite the stigma associated with root canal treatments from the past, patients can undergo a painless experience while saving their smiles. During a procedure, our staff generally performs the following steps to carry out a root canal treatment successfully:
- Isolation and numbing of the affected tooth with numbing gels and general anesthetics
- Cleaning the damaged tooth and removing decay to wipe out any infection completely. This part involves drilling into the roots and accessing the pulp chambers.
- Once clean and empty, we’ll shape the canals to accommodate the gutta-percha.
- After filling the canals and thoroughly cleaning the tooth, we’ll seal the tooth with a dental crown or a filling.
After a successful root canal treatment, your tooth needs to heal before regaining normal function. A few helpful tips for effective healing include:
- Lying down and elevating the head
- Some over-the-counter pain medications can help ease any pain after the numbing agents subside (please speak with a doctor before taking any medication)
- Gargling and rinsing with lukewarm saltwater
- A cold compress
- Patients should avoid hard foods that may inflame their teeth post-procedure
For patients in need of a dentist in the Southglenn area, Dr. Michael Franquemont and our staff can assist! We can determine if a root canal treatment is right for you and your smile through an initial consultation. Please don’t hesitate to call us at (303) 795-0066 for further information.
Contact Our Dental Office in Centennial, CO
If you, a friend, or a family member suffer from toothaches and require a trustworthy dentist to perform root canal treatments in the Centennial area, we are here to help! Please don’t let your symptoms persist. With prompt diagnosis and treatment, we can save your teeth and get your smile back in optimal form! To book an appointment, please call us at (303) 795-0066 or schedule online to get started.