Many people wonder how long teeth whitening lasts, but it really depends on the person. The effects of professional teeth whitening can last up to two years or as little as a few months. However, you can prolong the teeth whitening results by having good oral hygiene and avoiding certain habits, foods, and drinks.
Teeth whitening is the most common cosmetic dentistry treatment. Achieving a healthy-looking, brighter smile is attractive to many people and can dramatically boost one’s confidence.
How to Make Your Teeth Whitening Results Last
To maintain a white, stain-free smile, we recommend the following:
- Brushing at least twice daily. Your dentist may also recommend teeth whitening toothpaste, a take-home teeth whitening kit, or other products to maintain your bright white smile.
- Floss at least once daily.
- Avoid smoking and using tobacco products that stain teeth.
- Drink using a straw to reduce contact with liquids.
- Avoid dark liquids, like red wine, tea, coffee, and soda.
- Avoid staining foods like berries, beetroot, tomato sauces, and curries.
Following these tips can help keep your teeth whitening more noticeable for a period of time. However, you should also know that some degree of staining is inevitable over time.
How Much Whiter Can You Make Your Teeth?
It helps to think of teeth whitening as tanning your complexion. Everyone who soaks in the sun or uses a tanning salon will eventually have a noticeable tan. However, exactly how tan they look or how the tan affects them varies from person to person. You might get results, but not everyone will have the same results. The same goes for teeth whitening; no two people are the same, so no two teeth whitening results will be the same.
Some people have thicker enamel than others, which also plays a part. For example, people with thinner enamel may have teeth that look a little yellow. Also, it’s important to note you can’t whiten dental restorations or fillings.
Schedule Your Teeth Whitening in Centennial
Dr. Mike is an experienced dentist in Centennial, CO, who can remove dental stains and help you achieve a stunning white smile. Call us today to schedule your consultation at our Centennial dental office!